Global Maritime Distress and Safety System
The Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) automates and improves emergency communications for the world's shipping industry. The system incorporates satellite communications and traditional radio technologies to provide modernized maritime distress and safety communications for the 21st century.
US COAST GUARD / STCW CERTIFICATION
The U.S. Coast Guard is responsible for compliance with requirements of the international Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchstanding (STCW) convention. These standards require officers-in-charge of a navigation watch aboard compulsory GMDSS vessels to complete a 70-hour U.S. Coast Guard approved GMDSS training course. Upon successful completion of the required course, the Coast Guard will endorse the mariner's Merchant Marine Credential indicating GMDSS qualification.
In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires two licensed radio operators to be aboard all GMDSS certified ships. The operators are required to hold a valid FCC GMDSS Radio Operator's license. The FCC GMDSS Radio Operator's License is obtained by passing two written examinations (FCC Element 1 and Element 7).
The Element 1 exam covers material related to basic radio regulations and operating procedures maritime radio operator should be familiar with. To pass this exam, the examinee must correctly answer at least 18 out of 24 questions.
The Element 7 exam covers GMDSS Radio Operating practices, procedures, regulations, and equipment in sufficient detail to demonstrate the examinee's knowledge of all GMDSS sub-systems. The exam consists of questions from the following categories:
* General information
* Narrow-Band Direct-Printing
* INMARSAT Satellite
* Maritime Safety Information
* Digital Selective Calling
* Survival Craft Equipment
To pass this exam, the examinee must correctly answer at least 75 out of 100 questions.
At GMDSS Academy we aren't like the other guys. Here's why:
* We focus on one thing - the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System.
(GMDSS is not a sideline - it's all we do)
* Our instructors are experts in the field.(They teach one course - GMDSS)
* We use an integrated, building-block approach to training. Each day, you gain extensive knowledge of a specific GMDSS topic in the morning and practice with the equipment that afternoon. This positive reinforcement helps you master the topic in a shorter period of time.
* Our GMDSS labs are laser-focused on USCG performance standards. You will rapidly gain proficiency with GMDSS equipment and be fully prepared to demonstrate your ability to meet USCG competency requirements.
* Our teaching facilities are state-of-the art. You will practice hands-on skills with real and simulated GMDSS equipment. It's the best of both worlds.
For more than 30 years we have helped our students succeed with GMDSS training and certification. Let us be part of your success!
Copyright © 2024 GMDSS - All Rights Reserved.